These chocolate pancakes are the perfect Sunday breakfast!
- 1¼ cups whole-grain gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp monk fruit or ½ tsp stevia powder
- 1 tbsp vegan mini chocolate chips -We use vegan mini chocolate chips Lily’s (stevia-sweetened).
- 1 cup unsweetened, almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
Optional: For more flavor, add vanilla extract, vanilla bean or cinnamon powder.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, monk fruit, cocoa powder, baking powder, flax, chocolate chips and salt) in a medium bowl. Whisk until fully combined.
- Combine the wet ingredients (almond milk, vanilla and vinegar) in a small bowl and whisk well. This will create a vegan buttermilk for your pancakes.
- Add the vegan buttermilk and the applesauce to the flour mixture and stir until the batter is just combined.
- Let the batter stand for 10 minutes while it rises and thickens as the flaxseeds soak; it may nearly double in size.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and grease with avocado oil.
- Scoop the batter into rounds. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the bubbles have burst in each of the pancakes and the tops start to appear dry.
- Flip the pancakes and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.