How do you know if you are overweight? Here is a good indicator. If you are a an and you waist is 40 inches or if you are a woman and you waist is 35 inches in circumference, you are at a higher risk for chronic diseases especially heart disease and cancer.
Here is an important step you can take to determine whether you are overweight or not. Calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI). It is one thing for a six foot tall person to weigh 200 pounds and quite another for a five foot tall person to weigh 200 pounds. BMI is the way to figure out if you are overweight for your height.
What it works:
- People with a BMI from 18.5 to 25 are considered healthy
- People with a BMI between 25 and 30 are considered overweight with moderate health risk problems.
- People with a BMI over 30 are considered to be ay high risk
How to calculate your BMI
- Multiply your weight by 705
- Take that number and divide it by your height in inches
- Take that number and divide it by your height in inches AGAIN
Here’s an example
Height: 69 Inches
- 170*705 = 119,850
- 119,850 / 69= 1,736.9565
- 1,736.9565 / 69 = 25.17
You can also log onto http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus and calculate your BMI automatically.